Phone: (941) 726-9334
Michael Halflants is an associate professor at the USF School of Architecture and Community Design and a principal at Halflants + Pichette Architects, with offices in Tampa and Sarasota.
After studying architecture at the St Lucas Institute in Brussels, he earned a master’s degree in architecture at the University of Florida, where he was awarded the Henry Adams Gold Medal, the department’s highest design honor. Upon graduation, Halflants was first employed as a project designer with the Polshek Partnership in New York. In that capacity, he drew designs for theaters and offices in Manhattan and for the Spencer Museum in Kansas. Working in a joint venture with Arata Isozaki’s Tokyo office, he was on the design team for the Brooklyn Museum addition.
In 2006, he cofounded the firm Halflants + Pichette Architects with John Pichette. The firm’s work is centered on housing projects and single family residences, many of which are carried out as design-build ventures. Since 2006, the firm was honored with over thirty American Institute of Architects awards including the National AIA Young Architect Award and the Tampa Bay AIA Firm of the Year award. In 2011, Professor Halflants was invited to represent Florida’s West Coast at the University of Miami in an exhibit of Florida architects. Starting in 2014, the practice has garnered five national medals from the Association of Licensed Architects. The firm has also been recognized in the professional press at the state and national levels.
Professor Halflants strives to build and maintain deliberately parallel and mutually reinforcing creative professional activities and educational responsibilities. At USF, he teaches graduate design studios as well as seminars on tropical architecture and modern housing. He has presented papers on the topic of tropical design throughout Southeast Asia. He has led students abroad to Mexico City, the Yucatan, Brazil, Japan, Berlin, the Netherlands, and Spain. In 2010, he was recognized for his work as an educator with the McMinn Award from the Florida / Caribbean AIA.
Website | Facebook
Creative Activities (i.e., professional practice: Halflants Pichette Studio for Modern Architecture)
- · SEMINOLE RESIDENCE (Completed. Design/Build Project in Sarasota) | Project Manager / Contractor: John Pichette
- · NAINAR RESIDENCE Anna Maria Island (Nearing Completion. Design/Build Project, Anna Maria)
- · GUBERMAN-KENNEDY RESIDENCE (Nearing Completion. Design/Build Project in Venice)
- · RISDON ON 5TH (Under permitting review)
- · VANGUARD LOFTS (under construction)
- · PHILIPPI CREEK (Nearing Completion. Design/Build Project)
- · CHARRON RESIDENCE (Under Construction)
- · PIANO RESIDENCE (Design Development)
- · LEE RESIDENCE (under permitting review with Longboat Key)
- ASSOCIATION OF LICENSED ARCHITECTS, GOLD MEDAL | Seminole Residence, National Design Award
- ASSOCIATION OF LICENSED ARCHITECTS, SILVER MEDAL | Lido Key Addition, National Design Award
- TAMPA BAY AIA 2015 FIRM OF THE YEAR AWARD | Halflants + Pichette Architects
- TAMPA BAY AIA 2015 H. DEAN ROWE AWARD | Top Annual Award for the Seminole Residence
- TAMPA BAY AIA 2015 AWARD OF EXCELLENCE | Bayfront Porch
- TAMPA BAY AIA 2015 AWARD OF EXCELLENCE | Risdon Housing
- TAMPA BAY AIA 2015 AWARD OF EXCELLENCE | Lee Residence
Creative Activities (i.e. professional practice)
Served as the lead designer for all 2014 projects for the firm Halflants+Pichette.
- NAINAR RESIDENCE Anna Maria Island (Currently under construction)
- SEMINOLE RESIDENCE (Design/Build Project in Sarasota; nearing completion)
- The tall, thin and narrow main house is oriented east to west. On the entire length of the house, the roof overhangs 16 feet, shading the yard and creating a cooler microclimate. The space under the overhanging roof serves as a verandah mediating the climate. A continuous clerestory runs between the light steel trusses from which a balcony is suspended. The entry is through a smaller court recessed in the south elevation.
- GUBERMAN-KENNEDY RESIDENCE DESIGN BUILD Venice
- This is the first Design-Build project for which I serve as the project manager (contractor) through construction. We are pouring the grade beams. The small site is one lot removed from the Gulf of Mexico. The design takes advantage of two view corridors through the setbacks of neighboring lots. The two wings of the small house are connected by a courtyard and a two story exposed concrete wall extending to the street.
- PHILIPPI CREEK / DESIGN BUILD Sarasota
- BLAIR RESIDENCE (under construction, St Petersburg)
- VANGUARD LOFTS (under permitting)
- The six-unit housing project in Sarasota’s Rosemary District is designed to foster social interaction by taking full advantage of a variety of private and shared exterior spaces.
- RISDON ON 5TH
- Schematic design for a 22 residential units above retail.
- The plans call for 5 distinctive unit types. Every unit types have lofted ceiling over the living space.
- PARKS RESIDENCE (Schematic Design)
- CHARRON RESIDENCE (Under Permitting)
- PIANO RESIDENCE (Schematic Design)
- LEE RESIDENCE (80% construction documents)
8 AIA AWARDS & 3 NATIONAL ALA AWARDS
- ASSOCIATION OF LICENSED ARCHITECTS – ALA NATIONAL AWARD | Vanguard Lofts, Award of Merit
- ASSOCIATION OF LICENSED ARCHITECTS – ALA NATIONAL AWARD | Guberman-Kennedy Residence, Award of Merit
- ASSOCIATION OF LICENSED ARCHITECTS – ALA NATIONAL AWARD | Nainar Residence, Silver Medal
- AIA DESIGN AWARD – FLORIDA GULF COAST | Bayshore Residence
- AIA DESIGN AWARD – FLORIDA GULF COAST | Verandah House
- AIA DESIGN AWARD – FLORIDA GULF COAST | Lido Key Addition
- AIA DESIGN AWARD – FLORIDA GULF COAST | Nainar Residence
- AIA DESIGN AWARD - TAMPA BAY | Philippi Creek Residence
- AIA DESIGN AWARD - TAMPA BAY | Vanguard Lofts
- AIA DESIGN AWARD – FLORIDA / CARIBBEAN | Seminole Residence
- AIA DESIGN AWARD – FLORIDA / CARIBBEAN | Lido Key Addition
- UNIVERSITY LA GRAN COLOMBIA, BOGOTA
- Invitation to present the firm’s work at an international symposium of architects
- AIA COLORADO STATE CONVENTION
- Invitation to present the firm’s work at the state convention